Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Summertime Joys

Some pleasures, though small, are forever cherished.

My husband and I recently bought a grill (it's been several years since we had one) and we've been having so much fun rediscovering one of the simple joys of summer: cooking out.

Even hot dogs, not normally regulare fare for us, taste great! What is it about grilling that adds that fourth dimension to food?

Ok, so you're thinking "that's a silly thing to write about," but here's my point. There are so many little pleasures like grilled food in life. How many more am I taking for granted?

What if I chose to be more aware of my surroundings each day and actively noticed the tiny pleasures all around me? Things like a cool summer breeze, a comfortable couch, funky magnets that remind me of great trips with Tim, beautiful photos, a new phone.

Ok, so some of those are probably silly, but they give me pleasure. What if I let myself briefly but thoroughly enjoy each one of them? How much more pleased would I feel?

How about you? Want to join me? Let's notice the little things and make the choice to both notice and enjoy them.

Happy Wednesday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

laughter with friends and family

dorothy among the munchkins said...

I can't currently comment on Summertime Joys (what I would give for a grilled turkey burger right now...) but I know that there are so many things that I see has hassles or frustrations that I should really see as blessings and simple joys. I agree--we should look harder for good things in our lives--but I raise you and challenge everyone to also look for (yes, Pollyanna) the silver linings in clouds. Or maybe the real challenge is not just to do that, but to do it consistently. Taking all suggestions as to HOW... :)

Candy Rice said...

Good point, Dorothy.

Let's see if we can come up with some suggestions and talk about them tomorrow.

Candy