Monday, June 25, 2007

A Jolt for Me

I'm still reading the Integrity book by Henry Cloud, and today I got a real jolt. As you know, my former employer still owes me about $7000 in back pay, and I've pretty much written it off, figuring I'll never see it.

Here's what jolted me this morning.

In all sorts of relationships, we see people's wakes being affected by the inability to let it go. If you are going to solve problems in your personal relationships or your business ones, then you have to be able to let things go. I do not mean do not face them, especially if they are ongoing. What I mean is that after they have been addressed and resolved, then let it go in terms of the negative, punitiv e emotion of it all. Grieve it and, dare we say, forgive. People thrive when they have faced an issue, made it right, and the other person can forgive them and move on. Forgive means to "cancel a debt." In other words, the person does not owe us anymore. No more wallowing, guilt, shame, reminders, or other things that get in the way of the future. If something has not been fixed or trust regained, that is one thing. But if it is fixed, put it behind you.

Here's the thing. I've moved on, but I realize I haven't forgiven. I know that the guy will never pay me, but when I think about it, I consider it a debt that is owed to me. In order to really move on, I'm going to have cancel the debt. Hard work lies ahead for me in this area, but I intend to cancel it and let it go. I hope you'll keep me accountable to this.

Something else occurred to me (again) while reading this: forgiveness isn't merely a concept associated with religion. It's a concept for all of the human experience. It brings the same results (peace of mind, release of pain or frustration, contentment, and more) to each person, regardless of religious affiliation or relationship with God.

How about you? Is there anything that you're hanging onto that needs to be confronted with love and integrity together? Or something that has already been confronted and now needs to be forgiven and let go? Let's work on it together. What do you say?

No comments: