Friday, April 27, 2007

What Not to Think

Have you ever watched TLC's What Not to Wear? It's one of my favorite TV shows and I always learn something from watching it, whether it's about clothing or about philosophies and mindsets.

I think my life right now should be called What Not to Think. My husband and I are contemplating becoming homeowners for the first time, which we've wanted to do for several years but haven't been able to because of our transient careers.

I'm going through a similar process that a participant on What Not to Wear seems to go through. Stubbornness and resistance to change is first (I don't want to lose the "freedom" that comes with renting--we could pick up and leave at any time if we have to).

Next comes the fear that changing what clothes are worn will mean identity has been lost (If we become homeowners we'll lose that carefree spirit and willingness to travel spontaneously).

It seems the next step in the process is getting a glimpse of how much better the change is from the past, followed by a change in philosophy (I know we need to own a home before long--it's part of a smart, planned financial future in addition to giving us so much more than we've ever had while renting, like freedom to paint the walls in our choice of colors and customize it for our lifestyle).

The final step is happiness with the decision and its outcome (I know that none of my fears are valid--we'll still travel whenever we can and if we have to pack up and move suddenly that will work itself out).

So that's my candid confession of the process we're in. The excitement about the process and the desired outcome is (so far) outweighing the fears. To many of you veterans who've owned homes for years or even decades this probably sounds silly, and if you have any words of wisdom for me, I hope you'll share. Just click the comments link below.

Enjoy the beautiful weekend!

No comments: