Wednesday, April 18, 2007

How Not to Be a Pain

I don't know about you, but I learn so many good lessons by observing my dog.

The vet yesterday wasn't able to perform the needed procedure to make our dog's tooth feel better, and I'm waiting for another vet to call me back to make the appointment today.

In the meantime, our normally bouncy dog is pretty subdued. That tooth must really hurt, and yet he's really cuddly, not grumpy, not a pain. He follows me from room to room, which isn't all that unusual, but the last few days he's really stuck close by.

That made me think of this statement by Maya Angelou I heard recently:
"I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to
be one."

I'm certainly not the most cuddly person when I'm in pain. In fact, I tend more toward being a a pain than just being in pain.

So that's the lesson of the yellow lab with a broken tooth: how not to be a pain even when you're in pain.

No comments: