Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Alchemist

I've been re-reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Here's a passage that struck me.

"When a person really desires something, all the universe conspires to help that person to realize his dream," said the alchemist, echoing the words of the old king. The boy understood. Another person was there to help him toward his Personal Legend.

"So are you going to instruct me?"

"No. You already know all you need to know. I am only going to point you in the direction of your treasure."

"But there's a tribal war," the boy reiterated.

"I know what's happening in the desert."

"I have already found my treasure. I have a camel, I have my money from the crystal shop, and I have fifty gold pieces. In my own country, I would be a rich man."

"But none of that is from the Pyramids," said the alchemist.

"I also have Fatima. She is a treasure greater than anything else I have won."

"She wasn't found at the Pyramids, either."

They ate in silence. The alchemist opened a bottle and poured a red liquid into the boy's cup. It was the most delicious wine he had ever tasted.

"Isn't wine prohibited here?" the boy asked.

"Its' not what enters men's mouths that's evil," said the alchemist. "It's what comes out of their mouths that is."

Regardless of the excuses we make for not seeking our Personal Legends, sometimes all the great things in our lives are merely that--great things--not the treasure we're supposed to be seeking.

No comments: